Deaths averted as Lagos demolishes 57 distressed buildings
by JOSHUA BASSEY
August 28, 2017 | 8:08 pm| | | Start Conversation
In what aims at averting wanton deaths and loss of properties worth billions of Naira, Lagos State Government has started the demolition of some 57 distressed buildings standing precariously across the state.
Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), a body charged with the responsibility of ensuring building integrity in the state, commenced the demolition on Monday. Thirty-four of the buildings being demolished are located on Lagos Island. Incidentally, the state has recorded more building collapse on the island than any other part.
Officials of LASBCA backed by armed policemen stormed the island yesterday to begin the demolition of the affected buildings.
Lekan Shodehinde, general manager, LASBCA said the exercise was the first phase of the demolition of distressed buildings approved by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.
Shodehinde said the buildings had been distressed overtime and that government had served owners of the structures notices.
According to him, the exercise was being carried out to stem tides of collapsed buildings in the state, saying that government would not fold its arm and allow buildings to collapse indiscriminately across the metropolis.
He disclosed that 13 buildings were billed for demolished on Monday adding that the exercise would last for two weeks.
Shodehinde disclosed that the agency had identified 114 distressed buildings that needed to be demolished across the metropolis, adding that the others would be demolished during the second phase of the exercise.
The government, he said would no longer wait for owners of distressed buildings to remove them on their own as experience had shown that such owners do not always remove such structures.
Big Read |